The rising of sports startups has fundamentally changed the base of India in the sports market as well as in Business. The Sports market in India according to 2013 was $2 Billion. Now, only one of the startups holds a value of $8 Billion.
Starting from apparel, and apps to equipment and bodybuilding proteins and foods. India has more than 30,000 sports startups. Last year in 2021, sports startups crossed the value of ₹9,500 crores in sponsorships.
“The Sports Startups are trying to change the game.” – The Economic Times.
Let’s see the top sports companies which are in the limelight for certain reasons.
1. Dream 11
- Dream11 is an Indian fantasy sports platform where you get to play cricket, hockey, football, kabaddi, and basketball.
- Dream11 is India’s biggest gaming platform and has registered 140 million users as of 2021.
- Founded by Bhavin Sheth and Harsh Jain in 2008, in 2019 this platform became the only Indian Sport Startup Unicorn.
(Unicorn is a privately owned startup that crosses the value of $1 Billion.)
- Endorsed by well-known cricket Captain Virat Kohli, Mobile Premier League (MPL) is known for being one of the most skill-based mobile gaming platforms in India.
- MPL offers a wide range of games such as Fruit Chop, Superteam, Carom, Pool, Pro-cricket, and so much more.
- Founded by Sai Srinivas and Shubham Malhotra in 2018, currently valued at $2.45 Billion, it is the second sports gaming startup to make a place as a Unicorn in 2021.
- Decathlon is a company that is known for being a one-stop shop for buying sports goods online in India. This company is now known as a B2B company, making the price of the apparel and goods affordable.
- Decathlon offers affordable price ranges for all sports apparel worn by all genders.
- Launched in May 2009 in India, and founded by Michel Leclercq, the startup has taken over more than 20 brands and has total revenue of $12.80 million.
- Sportswave is a reincarnation of your childhood playground and introduces sports in the life of the working professional.
- It includes features such as video highlights, photos ranging from their Facebook galleries and so much more, coming with a feature in which you can keep track of your friend’s progress too.
- Founded by Nikhil Jha and Vivek Kumar in 2010.
- Ballebaazi is featuring fantasy games across the most famous sports including cricket, football, basketball, and so much more.
- Allows users to choose and match a team and then participate in the games is another famous app.
- Founded by Navkiran Singh, Saurabh Chopra, and Puneet Dua in 2017, the startup already has built a market of $1.1 billion dollars.
- SportzVillage is one of the oldest Indian sports startups, a leading provider of sports education and management to schools and cooperates.
- This startup offers sports marketing, infrastructure services, and ticketing.
- Founded by Jitendra Joshi and Saumil Majmudar in 2003, this company has raised a total of $10 million in funding.
7. Portege sports
- Protege Sports is a network of sports technology companies working in the field of sports management, software tools, wearable devices, and sports digital marketing across social media platforms.
- Founded by Pranesh Krishnamurthy, Rahul Rane, and Roht Narayan in 2014.
8. Live your sport
- Live Your Sport is an online sports goods and fitness equipment store that provides oriented service centers that strive to make our sports journey hassle-free.
- Founded by Siddharth Suchde in 2012, the startup has a market value of ₹1 crore.
- Rooter is a social network made for sports fans. It brings people of similar interests together on one platform.
- Founded by Piyush Kumar in 2016, it is also the owner of a ₹1 crore market price.
- Digital sports platform with a handy interface for sports fans providing major sports facilities such as cricket, football, tennis, and basketball.
- Users can create their own tournaments and play a game within minutes.
- Founded by Sanjeev Sinha in 2015 in New Delhi, it is a good platform helping people in booking sports facilities conveniently.
Which are some of the top sports startups in India?
Dream11 and MPL are the top startups in India also part of Unicorn.
How many total sports companies are there in India?
There are estimated to be more than 28,000 companies in India.
What is the global market for sports startups?
The global sports market is predicted to grow to more than $440 billion this year.